Sunday 30 January 2011

Hello, I'm Marjorie

Hello everyone, I'm Marjorie Pickering. Last year I came back to England after living in Amsterdam for rather a long time. My husband Jack was working there. I'm not sure exactly what he does as it's sort of classified. I mean, that's the way he describes it.

Anyway, while we lived in Amsterdam I was on my own quite a lot, so I took a number of evening classses - Madrigal singing, Medieval History, Yoga, Pottery and Creative Writing. It was this last class that launched me on my career as a poet.

We were always told to write about what we know so I started out writing, mainly about my little cat Herbert and Jimmy the Goldfish.


this is Jimmy. Herbert was hiding somewhere. Maybe I will be able to show you a photo of him later.


Here are my first two ever poems:

My Little Cat Herbert

Oh Herbert, how furry you are

I wish you hadn't got squashed by a car

Dear Herbert, how furry you were

How sad you don't purr

any murr (more)


Jimmy the Goldfish

Splish, splash I see you swim

My lovely, shiny, fishy Jim.

What a pity I introduced you to Herbert.


Well, that is quite a long time ago now - I have written lots and lots more poems since then. Now that I live in England I have been able to sign up for writing courses at the William MacGonagall School of Poetry and even perform on stage sometimes! I like to experiment with different forms, from Haiku to Sonnet, Villanelle and many more.

I will share more of my poems in the next blog and I hope I will build up what they call a 'fan base' and get even more people coming to my poetry readings.

It's all frightfully jolly!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting. Our moderators will read it and publish anything that doesn't contain profanities or bad manners just as soon as they have finished their cups of tea.